1310 Sheridan St. NW
Washington, D.C. 20011-1131
Cell Phone: 202-669-9006
Evening Phone: 202-506-5124
Manage virtual web platform hosting both LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) and Windows/IIS environments; implement and deliver web sites, interrelated systems, applications, and development services; and provide ongoing maintenance and support for our primary web infrastructure which encompasses dozens of separate web entities.
Ensure security of the servers and applications, and of the sites for which we have direct control and responsibility; work directly with third-party service providers and vendors managing other sites in our environment to verify that they are also following sound practices to protect the sites under their direct control and management from compromise.
Oversee the ongoing maintenance, updating and upgrading of sites running on Drupal and WordPress content management systems (CMS's). Monitor server activity, resources, and performance to ensure systems are not overloaded and continue to operate effectively.
Direct web projects and collaborate with and manage defined and ad hoc teams, typically comprised of inter- and intra-departmental members, consultants, vendors, and other service providers. Project work is often performed in partnership with other organizations, requiring an additional layer of cooperation with their own internal and external teams. This working environment requires a high level of coordination between all of the groups, and clear, consistent communication with the senior managers of the departments and other entities that have commissioned or are contributing to the projects.
Key Projects and Achievements
- Implementing a comprehensive overhaul of our team development process to employ best practices and methodologies, including source code repositories, version control, and managed deployment of code and software updates and upgrades. Developing metrics to measure server loads, pinpoint performance bottlenecks, and provide for proactive capacity planning.
- Spearheaded successful project to implement new virtual web hosting environment that allows our web team to offer a broader, more flexible menu of options for the internal owners of our public web sites. This platform currently hosts fifty live sites, including our primary web property uschamber.com, several others that are scheduled to go live in the next two months, and dozens of administrative sites used for code deployment, development, and testing. These sites use a variety of technologies, including Drupal, WordPress (both stand alone and Network versions), Joomla, and custom PHP content management systems.
- Wrote custom programming script that used the API (application programming interface) of our legacy, classic ASP based CMS to extract and format specific blocks of content from more than 7,500 pages to be imported into our new Drupal-based site. Coordinated the migration of custom-coded ASP features, products, and services that were hosted outside of our CMS to our new environment, including the transition of our standalone payment pages to an integrated shopping cart built using the Drupal Ubercart system.
- Migrated our flagship blog, chamberpost.com, from the TypePad hosted service to a standalone instance of WordPress hosted in our environment. This project involved moving more than 3,700 existing posts and maintaining or resetting existing URL's through WordPress options and Apache rewrites. From conception to live relaunch, this was seamlessly accomplished in approximately six weeks.
- Succeeded as project manager and site developer for major intranet site migration project, moving from Microsoft Content Management Server (MSCMS 2001) to Microsoft Office SharePoint Server (MOSS), resulting in a 400%+ increase in overall intranet usage. This serves the senior management goal of developing a matrix organizational structure where departments share and coordinate their knowledge, resources, and activities to increase the overall reach, effectiveness, and efficiency of our efforts.
- Organize, route and respond to e-mails received by all of the web site administrative mailboxes. Email is a core component of our overall communications strategy, with deliverability and responsiveness being critical to its continued success as a marketing medium. Collectively, we send more than1 million emails per month, and our messages are sometimes flagged as spam by other systems. When that happens, it's essential to work with our e-mail marketing manager to address and resolve the issue, ensuring that our outbound correspondence complies with accepted standards and that the messages sent by all of our units continue to be delivered successfully.
Website Development ManagerU.S. Chamber of Commerce - March 2000 - Present
- Maintain, manage, and monitor virtualized shared web hosting environments; direct and manage web site application development projects and maintenance and support services for our primary web site www.uschamber.com and its related online entities, maintaining the quality and consistency of our world class web presence.
- Coordinate and perform regular software updates for more 50 live websites, and dozens of deployment and development sites.
- Advise senior managers, internal clients, and partners on developing sound project requirements and following suitable courses of action, and deliver web site recommendations to achieve outcomes that meet specific business needs within the parameters of overall organizational goals.
- Design and maintain online payment processes for all online transactions, including publication sales, memberships, and donations - https://secure.uschamber.com.
- Compose and deliver reports and recommendations to senior staff, team members, and clients based on analysis, research, and evaluations of web technologies, products, and services identifying appropriate options that are best fits for available resources and capable of producing desired results.
- Deliver web site application programming services; direct and manage support for Apache and Internet Information Server (IIS) web servers, MySQL and Microsoft SQL Server database systems, and content management and web site systems such as Drupal and WordPress.
- Monitor all web site e-mail boxes and spam filter, respond to customer questions, resolve issues, and forward feedback to the appropriate recipients. Coordinate with e-mail marketing manager to ensure that our outbound correspondence complies with accepted standards so that messages sent by all of our units continue to be delivered successfully.
- Collect and analyze site traffic data generated from server logs, Google Analytics, and Urchin to measure overall site performance, gauge the effectiveness of campaigns, and identify areas that need improvement or higher visibility.
- Collaborate with our trademark and brand management team to ensure that the more than 1,600 Chamber-related domain names are properly registered and protected from infringement.
Department Manager & Systems AdministratorDean & Deluca - August 1997 - March 2000
- Managed department that consistently met or exceeded corporate goals within strict budget constraints.
- Maintained internal Windows-based network and provided customer support.
- Planned and coordinated installation of broadband connectivity to allow Internet access.
- Developed browser-based document and template sharing system for department managers.
- Provided technical support and instruction for all PC users.
- Resolved issues with Microsoft Office, e-mail and other applications.
- Supported retail software, hardware, and point of sale equipment.
- Wrote training manual to increase employee proficiency and quality of customer service.
- Edited employee guidelines handbook to clarify company policies.
- Administered payroll and human resource services.
MANAGEMENT & LEADERSHIP EXPERIENCE
- Department manager responsible for budgeting, hiring, training, and scheduling.
- Project manager, able to prioritize tasks, provide contingency planning, and meet deadlines.
- Excellent communications skills; able to translate complex technical issues to people of all technical skills, and conversely, to effectively translate business requirements to communicate project goals with those developing technological solutions.
- Proactively manage and maintain strong relationships with colleagues, clients, senior managers, consultants, vendors, partners, service providers, and suppliers.
- Coordinate and advise on projects with diverse groups of internal customers to implement business strategies.
- Web server and website management and monitoring on both LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) and Windows Internet Information Server (IIS) platforms.
- Drupal and WordPress installation, administration, and upgrading.
- Identify and implement technologies to meet business objectives and the needs of web site visitors.
- Research, analyze, evaluate, review, recommend, and purchase technology products and services.
- Web application testing, bug tracking and issue resolution.
- Web server administration using tools such as Putty, Webmin, and Windows Remote Desktop.
- Digital image creation, capture, and manipulation (Photoshop, PaintShop Pro, digital cameras, scanners).
- Web site traffic reporting using log files and other tools (Google Analytics, Analog, Report Magic, Urchin).
- Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, Access, PowerPoint, Publisher).
- File Transfer Protocol (FTP) for uploading and transferring of files.
- Adobe Acrobat Professional PDF for portable file creation and editing.
TECHNICAL EDUCATION - SEMINARS - CONFERENCES
- Surge Conference 2010 Scaling Internet Architectures - September/October 2010
- C# Programming: Hands-On - February 2009
- Introduction to PHP for Web Development - December 2008
- SharePoint Technologies Comprehensive Introduction - August 2007
- SharePoint Server 2007 Administration - July 2007
- Capstone Series: .NET Web Developer - January 2006
- Building Portal Solutions with SharePoint - November 2005
- Mastering Macromedia Dreamweaver - September 2005
- Fundamentals of Object-Oriented Analysis and Design - June 2004
- Presenting Data and Information - November 2003
- XML Developer Bootcamp - May 2003
- IT Project+ (CompTIA) - February 2003
- Project Management Fundamentals - February 2003
- Microsoft Content Management Server - January 2003
- Filemaker Pro 5.0 Level Two - December 2002
- Filemaker Pro 5.0 Level One - December 2002
- Project Management for the Web - November 2002
- Webmaster Certification - October 2002
- Web Site Accessibility: Section 508 - June 2002
- Introduction to Information Architecture - June 2002
- Advanced SQL and Database Design - February 2002
- Introduction to SQL and Database Design - February 2002
- Introduction to ASP - January 2002
- Intro to ColdFusion 4.5 - June 2000
- Allaire Spectra for Developers - April 2000